A dear friend of our family is getting married in April! She just graduated from college and is 22 years old. She has just begun the process of registering and asked for some advice about the process.
Which prompted me to reflect about my registry and the wedding gifts that I received, now almost 7 years ago! This post was a stream of consciousness, as I tried to recall quickly, the gifts that I use and love the most.
I am hoping to inspire ideas for wedding guests, as well as prospective brides and grooms, and to also hear from you about your favorite wedding gifts, as a giver or recipient. Leave a comment and let everyone know! Here’s my top ten list:
1. Le Creuset 9″ French Oven (aka Dutch Oven). I use this for everything, from boiling pasta, to frying chicken, to soups and spaghetti sauces. Mine is a since-discontinued pretty bright yellow color and I just love it!
2. Tiffany Hampton Candlesticks. These add instant panache to any dining room table. They sit on mine all year ’round. I love them so much that they have become my “go to” wedding gift.
3. Pasta/Salad Serving Set. We didn’t register for anything like this and when we were given a set (now discontinued from Williams-Sonoma), I almost returned it because it didn’t match anything in our kitchen. I am so glad that I kept it because we use the heck out of it! The set is great for salad and pasta. The shallow bowls are great for just about anything — eating casseroles, rice & beans, jambalaya, etc. The set below is from Napa Style.
4. Antique Accent Table. An aunt and uncle gave us the most gorgeous antique accent table for our wedding similar to those below from 1st Dibs. It is a one-of-a-kind, priceless and unforgettable gift.
5. Cuisinart Griddler. I actually didn’t get this as a wedding gift, but it’s so registry-ish that I had to include it. Except for the coffee maker, this is the most-used appliance in our kitchen! Easily interchangeable plates transform it into either a grill or griddle. It opens all the way to lay flat too. It makes a mean (and fast!) grilled cheese.
6. Three Tier Glass Serving Piece. I use this each time we have guests over and stack cookies, cupcakes, fruit, finger sandwiches, etc. It is pretty empty too!
7. Calphalon Nonstick Pots and Pans. Ok, duh. I use these everyday and heart them. They are like old friends to me! :)
8. Murano Glass. A very sweet cousin brought us four Murano highball glasses back from a vacation in Italy. They are gorgeous. These Murano bowls from Uncommon Goods are the only comparable picture that I could find. I love setting my table with those beauties!
9 & 10. Henckels Twin Cuisine Hallow-Ground Santoku Knife, 7″ & John Boos & Co. Cutting Board. We got a big set of knives and this one is the only one we use! The easy-to-use knife and the solid cutting board makes chopping a pleasure instead of a chore.
This post wouldn’t be complete without the few items that we registered for that sit collecting dust in the cupboards. We should have passed on the: KitchenAid Mixer (too bulky to keep out on the counter and too bulky to pull out and use!), the Bread Machine, and the Toaster Oven.
Do tell — what gifts do you use the most and what never gets used? Do you have a favorite wedding gift that you received, or like to give? Discuss!